Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Let me see your down dog!

YaY!  School is back in.....time to get back on your mat :)  Check the schedule tab & make your plan to come see me.  I'm mostly at Soul Yoga Lounge these days but I will be in Bentonville at YOgaStory this weekend for yoga OUTSIDe at the Farmer's Market.  It is such a great experience if you've never tried it!  Join me at 9 a.m. outside then at 10:15 in the YogaStory studio.

*********
I was having breakfast with my friend Jennifer at Waffle House last week.  Zach, our waiter, knows I teach at Soul Yoga Lounge which is right across the street.  He said, "Hey, I need to ask you a yoga question.  I've been doing the Insanity workout with my wife and we have to do a couple of moves from down dog.  I'm not sure I'm doing it right.  Can you help me?".....Ofcourse!  So I ask him to show me his down dog.  Here was my advice to Zach (& if you are new to yoga, maybe this will help you, too).  

If you put yourself in a high plank (dandasana) position with your wrists right underneath your shoulders, you should be able to go back and forth from high plank to down dog without moving your hands and feet.  That's a good way to know if your down dog stance is right for you.  

The same is true for moving on down to low plank (chaturanga) then upward facing dog then back to down dog:  hands & feet don't move (except for the toe rolling, which is another topic entirely!)  

Another tip for moving through these poses is to keep an eye on your hands....spread your fingers, press them down and also press through the inner rims of both hands (index finger & thumb side).

No comments:

Post a Comment