Pages

Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Joy of Yoga

Lately I've been pondering why I continue to show up on my mat.  It's easy to say it's because I love it or because it's fun or a challenge.  But why do I love it?  What makes it fun?  And why do I want to be challenged?

The physical practice of yoga requires me to be fully present in my body.  Noticing without judgement what is going on inside the periphery of my skin.  Being in the moment keeps me from falling over and from injuring myself but it also does something else that is pretty amazing....miraculous, really.  It keeps me out of the past, where I most often find guilt, regret, resentment, grievances, sadness, bitterness, and all forms of unforgiveness.  Being Present also keeps me out of the future where unease, anxiety, tension, stress, worry (all forms of fear) reside.

I've been practicing yoga for 7 years now and in that time, ever so gradually, practicing Presence on my mat has bled over into practicing Presence in my day to day life.  The Present is where peace and love and freedom reside and that is where I want to live.  That is why I keep showing up and that is why I want to share it with you.  So, be your own Valentine this month!  Show up on your mat and give yourself some LOVE!

Namaste Yogis!

No comments:

Post a Comment