Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Keeping it real....

I practice yoga, teach yoga, meditate, study the sutras, do my best to make good choices and try not to judge myself for making not-so-good choices. Sometimes I drink too much, let the bitch in my head get the best of me and eat a bag of tortilla chips (which I really do NOT apologize for, and never will because I would hop in the sack with about any brand....I am not loyal....I am a total tortilla whore. Love the one you're with, right?)

About a year ago, I took a huge, scary step right out the door of my 20 year marriage. It was a super hard decision and it super sucked for lots of people including me and I have no idea what the future holds. So far, I've been able to keep doing what I'm passionate about but every day I fight the urge to give up teaching yoga and get a job at Wal-Mart. I've had a lot of melt-downs (and still do). But here was the choice before me.....stay comfortable, safe and numb OR be honest. People told me my 'honesty' was selfish and something about God and the Devil.... I'm pretty sure my Bible study ladies misunderstood and thought I got the plague rather than a divorce.

Here are three things I've learned this year:

1. Reality Relates.
If we are REAL, vulnerable, and authentic we make connections with people. When we are truthful and honest with ourselves we impact the lives of others in a positive and loving way. Facades repel intimacy and any hope for connection or passion. Doing what we “think” we're supposed to do is a barrier the size of Hoover Damn to vibrant living.

2. Belief Systems = B.S.
A system of beliefs gives us a very convenient detour around having to make up our own minds about ANYthing. Say 'NO' to lazy brain! Meet every person and situation in the PRESENT with curiosity as opposed to a predetermined belief, a.k.a. judgment.

3. Teenage Girls are CrayZEE!
I love my daughter, but MY GOD!!!! How much can a middle-aged woman take? Aren't hot flashes enough! Take two mantras and call me in the morning....“Don't take it personally....Don't take it personally....”

A sweet friend of mine sent me a text while I was sleeping last night. She quoted a line from a book she'd just finished....(sorry, I don't know the name of the book.)

...“it's how we survive the hurts in life that brings us strength and gives us our beauty.”

Every moment we don't live our own truth we are hurting ourselves. Not only that, but we are hurting everyone around us because there is NO opportunity...NO OPPORTUNITY to relate intimately if we are not honest. Honesty is the ONLY policy and honesty is beautiful! It may look like a lump of coal at first, but BE PATIENT (she tells herself calmly...) the diamond is next in the line-up.

Love & Peace! Just keeping it real.
YogaGypsy



No comments:

Post a Comment